Friday, November 27, 2009

Sir Valence

It's quite incredible, the bond between our ruling elite and the media conglomerates. It's almost a chemical attraction. One has to wonder just how far you will let them go.

Finally, some MSM attention is being directed at the upcoming surveillance society that we're all being pushed towards. Virgin Media have announced publicly that they are going to inspect everyone's internet traffic in an effort to identify "unlawful file sharing".

Just to be clear, this means that if you're a Virgin customer, you're now paying to be spied upon by your ISP, and they have just given up any pretense of common carrier status. I'm sure other large ISPs will be next. Even if you are totally innocent and have never even considered file sharing, your traffic is being explicitly monitored.

Doesn't that make you feel all safe and warm inside?

Given that someone has stated that certain types of file sharing are unlawful (certainly not me or the majority of my peers, but someone somewhere) one has to wonder, what is the next thing they will determine is unlawful? How much money does one have to pay to move an activity (copying a file) from unlawful (I got this file from site A) to lawful (I got this file from site B)? What about "I already own this album, so I'll listen to it" (legal), back it up (dubious), download it from some website (illegal), or a torrent (here they come to disconnect your family internet connection).

The time has come to make a stand, and I'm standing up.

I will not purchase any more media that has been RIAA or MPAA or BPI certified. I will not vote for any candidate that believes these people have a right to dictate how my internet connection is used.

Make your voice and your wallet count. Join me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim

    I'm a second year student at Brighton University studying a Computer Science (Games) degree. I have a keen interest in programming, and really enjoyed your article in Develop magazine (think it was issue 98) about compiling code and optimisation techniques, and then came across your blog searching for anything else you may have written!

    Have to say I completely agree with this post! Think it has only been a matter of time before this sort of thing happened, and like you mentioned, others will surely follow! The argument may be that if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about (i'm certainly not one to torrent files)... but surely that's not the point??

    The internet has been pioneering in so many ways, one of which is the "freedom of speech" that comes with its use. It is just a shame that we are gradually losing our anonymity and this freedom is being controlled, as a reaction to the music industry being unable to cope with digital piracy!

    I for one think this should be abolished before it becomes widespread across ISPs!


    (Btw I am looking for a work placement in the games industry for next year, and was wondering if you have anything at your company in a programming role? Please have a look at my online portfolio at www.sam-edwards.co.uk and let me know if you can offer anything? Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply, Sam. I'll make sure our HR folks get your details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Tim, that's great and really appreciated.

    I did send my CV to your company about a month ago but despite chasing several times couldn't get a reply unfortunately!

    I am enthusiastic about programming and driving games, and highly motivated as I taught myself a few years ago. As well as exceptional academic results I also have a strong demo of my work on my website.

    I am really keen to work for BR and would be grateful for a good word from someone like yourself!

    ReplyDelete